Personal Advice with a Hands on Approach

Grandparents’ Rights

In Virginia, relatives of children, such as grandparents, aunts, uncles, adult siblings, and sometimes even step-parents or former step-parents, may have to petition the court for rights to visit with a child. Sometimes, due to circumstances of the child’s parents, a family member may even request physical custody of a child. The law is very specific as to when specific visitation may be ordered to a grandparent or other non-parent. The requirements are different when only one parent agrees to the visitation, or when both parents object to grandparents visiting with their grandchildren. If you are a grandparent or other family member of a minor child and want to establish your rights to have a relationship with your grandchild, niece/nephew, sibling, or stepchild, contact the Law Office of Elizabeth Barnes to find out what legal remedies may be available to you.

With military families, parent who has custody of his or her child and is deploying for an extended period of time may want for the child to remain with the child’s grandparent, family member, or a friend of the family during the parent’s absence. In addition to setting up family care plans through the military, it is sometimes necessary to have legal orders transferring custody of the child on a temporary basis. Also, Virginia law now provides that military parents who have regular visitation with children may sometimes request that their visitation privileges be transferred to a spouse (step-parent of child), parent (grandparent of child), or other important family member, if the parent is deployed, transferred, or serving abroad. As a military parent, if you are concerned about protecting your child during periods of deployment or service overseas, I can help navigate you through that process.

To schedule a consultation with a lawyer skilled in grandparent custody and visitation cases, please call The Law Office of Elizabeth K. Barnes today at 757-716-5741.